You and our dentist should each take part in making sure your child’s first dental appointment is a positive experience. Be aware that any anxiety displayed by you, the parent, will be picked up by your child. Also, if a dentist is unfriendly, unnecessary fear can be caused in the child.
Your Role in Your Child’s Visit
There are several things you can do to help your child’s dental visit go more smoothly, including:
1. Avoid saying words like “hurt,” “shot,” or “painful.”
2. Do not tell your child about unpleasant experiences you’ve had that the dentist.
3. Tell your child that the dentist is a friendly doctor whose job is to help them have healthy teeth and gums. Stress the importance of oral health.
4. Tell your child about dental visits, but limit the details you give. Answer their questions with short, simple answers. Let Dr. Lynh Pham answer the more complex questions. Our dentist is trained to describe things in a way that is easy to understand and nonthreatening.
5. Do not promise a reward for going to the dentist.
The Dentist’s Role
It is normal for children to be nervous or fearful of visiting the dentist. A child may fear separation from their parents, the unknown, or being injured. Our dentist knows how to ease your child’s fears, using techniques like:
1. Using a friendly voice that may become firmer if necessary.
2. Explaining procedures in simple words.
3. Our dentist may tell stories to engage the child in conversation in order to draw their attention away from the procedure.
4. Dr. Lynh Pham uses body language, like a simple smile or a frown, to reinforce positive behavior and discourage negative behavior. Your child will also be praised and complimented for good behavior.
5. If necessary, our dentist can use sedation to help your child relax and be more comfortable. Oral sedation or nitrous oxide may be used.
It is imperative that your child has a positive experience at the dentist in their early years so that he or she does not develop dental fears in the future. For more information about your child’s first dental visit in Garland, Texas, and to schedule an appointment, contact Smiley Dental Broadway.